Crohn’s Disease Diet — Go Paleo
The gastroenterologist rarely speaks of Crohn’s disease diet — if you’re lucky they may remark “eat what agrees with you” as they sign another prescription refill for anti-inflammatory medication or auto-immune suppressors. Finding what agrees with you isn’t easy — it requires constant testing, tracking and adjusting.
The paleo diet is simple — eat whole foods that humans have evolved eating for over hundreds of thousands of years. This sounds very reasonable because foods that were healthy and nourishing back then are likely still as agreeable today. Grains are a relatively new food introduced into the human diet only 10,000 years ago, so our digestive systems haven’t had enough time to cope and evolve with these changes plus the heavily processed foods of today. Meanwhile, there’s evidence that people have been cooking with fire for 800,000 years, so grilled meat, veggies and mushrooms are among the most agreeable things we could eat.
Paleo diet for Crohn’s disease
This is the basic idea behind the paleo diet and why it sounds like practical advice: eat the same core foods that have nurtured and sustained humanity for hundreds of thousands of years:
- meats & fish (grass-fed, pasture-raised)
There were no grains, legumes, dairy, salt, sugar or processed oils. Researching the human fossil record reveals a shift occurred around 10,000 years ago: overall bone density dropped and we started developing immune diseases just as we started eating grains from agriculture.
Ways to get started and go paleo
- Clean out the kitchen — trash bad foods from the pantry and fridge
- Make a weekly meal plan — try our Paleo meal tool to help generate food and meal ideas
- Go stock up on nuts and fruits — enjoy a wide variety of these healthy snacks
- Start with the basics like stir-fry and soups — chicken soup and vegetable/beef stir fry are staples you can vary for a lifetime
- Cook and master one ingredient per month — get to know a single food really well and try different ways to prepare it
- Sign up for our newsletter — I’ll send out infrequent updates about new web tools and articles I publish here
Join our Crohn’s email newsletter
Sign up for tips for getting started with the Paleo diet, and other helpful Crohn’s info I find along the way; no spam!